Tuesday 22 September 2009

16th Sunday after Pentecost 20 Sep 2009 Sermon

16th Sunday after Pentecost 20.9.09 Ambition

In the Church we operate on different values than the secular world, or at least we should. One example of this would be the matter of Ambition. In secular terms it is acceptable and even encouraged to be ambitious for high office, for example to try to be Prime Minister. But in Church terms if someone said he was running for Pope at the next election this would be frowned on.

In Church life we are supposed to be humble, meaning that we do not grasp for positions of influence; do not push ourselves forward. Thus today’s Gospel of taking the lowest seat at the table.

We see that many saints resisted promotion. Quite a few saints had to be coerced into becoming bishops or popes. It was genuine humility in their case.

They said they were not worthy. In the strict sense they were correct. Even the saint is unworthy of these things – unworthy as compared with God Himself, but far more worthy than the average person.

In Church terms we speak of Vocation, a softer variant of Ambition. What do I think I am meant to do? What is God asking me to do? Whatever it is I can do it with the help of His grace no matter how far beyond my own natural powers. He will make it possible.

What then should be our ambition? We should put ourselves totally in God’s hands, like the clay to be formed by the potter. What He makes of us is up to Him. He could make me the Pope or the Prime Minister, or someone totally obscure that people ignore in the street. I should not care which. If God wants it then I want it. Let it be done unto me according to Thy word.

Where we fit in is not clear to us in advance but God can use each one of us and it is a privilege to be any part of the picture.

The worldly wisdom is to say I plan to be a millionaire by 25, and do this course or have this career, or live in this city, and have this many children...How much of that involves God? Sometimes people will add ‘God willing’, but it all needs to be subject to His will, an ongoing cooperation, and being ready to adapt to whatever is needed.

So we learn not to be too desirous of any position or circumstances, but ready for anything even exile or death. (For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, to be content therewith. I know both how to be brought low, and I know how to abound (every where and in all things I am instructed): both to be full and to be hungry: both to abound and to suffer need. Ph 4,11-12)

Whatever God allows to happen to me is good insofar as He can use it for His purposes. He knows what He needs from me, so I let Him go to work.

I am not running for Pope but to be the best possible person, the best I can be, not running against others but against myself.

It is not just what title we have. I could be Pope but I still have to be charitable and humble and not complain if it is too hot etc. Being Christian is paramount and always applies, regardless of rank or title.The fundamental vocation is to be like Christ. Thus the epistle today: St Paul prays that we find Him and be transformed interiorly.

We can pray about the subsidiary details but the main point is that I be available to do His will.

I sit at the lowest point of the table and wait for Him to direct me. Of course, the lowest point in this parable means humility. So even if one is promoted to high honours in self-opinion we always remain at the lowest point.

If we maintain that basic humility and accompany it with a readiness to do anything that God asks of us we have the right ambition!

No comments: